Monday, November 03, 2008

The Jesus Ballot

The other day I told a friend, without giving it much thought at all, that I didn't think Jesus would vote. His immediate reaction was that of course Jesus would vote. Now, having given it some thought, I'm still not sure. My initial reasoning was that Jesus seemed fine leaving the affairs of government to mankind. Render unto Caesar, and all that. Then again, Jesus never side-stepped a debate. So then I wondered about the vote Jesus would cast, if He were, in fact, inclined to vote. Would He vote for the most godly candidate? The candidate with the most pure heart? The candidate with the best ideas about governing? The candidate most likely to protect life? The environment? The poor? Or, having divine foresight, would he simply vote for the person He knew would win (who, in fact, might be nothing like Jesus)? Ultimately, of course, the question has about as much merit as asking what Jesus would drive (assuming He'd drive, my guess is a white horse) or even what Jesus would do (WWJD) in any particular situation. The bigger and far better question seems this: What would Jesus have me do to bring glory to His name?

No comments: